Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ficus Adoption



Last Wednesday I was on my way to work, surveying peoples' trash put out for trash day, when I spotted a plant 100 yards up ahead. At first I quelled my excitement by telling myself it's likely nothing more than a simple vine. But lo and behold, it was a ficus lyrata! I couldn't believe my eyes! As you readers know, I already own one and it is my prized possession.

Needless to say, I swept it up in my arms and ran home. It had been mangled when jammed in the trash bag, and also looked like a cat had attacked it. Many of it's newly opened leaves were slashed and bruised. One of its branches was hanging by a thread. I splinted a bent branch and trimmed off the dead leaves. This picture is how it looks now.

I'm a bit worried because the splinted branch is sagging and the leaves are wilted. But this truly was a gift from God, so I'll trust that he's taking care of it with my meager help.

No comments: